Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rogue App: System Cleaner

I visited this rogue domain:

hxxp://antivirussecurescannerv3.com

antivirussecurescannerv3.com

The website proceeded to show me that it is scanning my machine for system errors and that it is doing a very wonderful job because it found heaps of problems on my machine and it is very eager to fix it.

To give the website some kind of authentic feel, it also showed me which browser I am using, my operating system, and my IP address.

It was also offering 60% discount on the product. Isn't that a good deal?

Now, if the dubious scanning and the overall feel of the website did not give away its real intentions, and if we are to be lulled into buying their software, well... hold on a minute!

If you notice that on my screenshot, the rogue website was giving some errors about the Windows TEMP folder, Internet Explorer temp files. But how can that be? As I mentioned on a previous post, I am not running Windows!

As usual, unsuspecting users get ripped off for a crappy software. So be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment